-Post by the travel presse-
i have great memories of visiting Peterborough. in my university days, and even after, my friend Sheila and her family would host me for the odd Thanksgiving or cottage weekend. some serious watersport action went down on Pigeon Lake – a fantastic place to be in the summer. bordered by Price Edward County and Haliburton, the Kawarthas region has a rich history starting with the fur trade, logging and mining. the area was the site of the early settling of Upper Canada, and ports grew as commercial centers for shipping in the Great Lakes.
naturally boating is a popular outdoor activity in the warmer months, but hunting, hiking and horseback riding go on all year long. golfers can tee off at thePerterborough Golf & Country Club, but i just got this super sporty Hyundai Veloster on loan so am thinking about loading up at a Farmers’ Market or two. artisan-made goat cheese, homemade gluten-free bread, jam preserves and several varieties of honey…sounds like it’ll be worth the drive!
fyi: Farmers’ Markets are open throughout the region every Saturday until Thanksgiving:
- Apsley Village Market – Saturdays/Sundays, 9am – 2pm
- Bobcaygeon Farmers Market – Saturdays, 8am – 1pm
- Brighton Farmers Market – Wednesdays/Fridays/Saturdays, 9am – 4pm
- Buckhorn Farmers and Craft Market – Tuesdays, 8am – 1pm
- Campbellford Farmers Market – Wednesdays/Saturdays, 8am – 1pm
- Cobourg Farmers Market – Saturdays, 7am – 1pm
- Havelock Farmers Market – Saturdays, 8:30am – 1:30pm
- Kinmount Farmers Market – Saturdays, 9am – 2p.
- Lakefield Farmers Market – Thursdays, 10am – 3pm
- Lindsay Farmers Market – Saturdays, 7am – 1pm
- Port Hope Farmers Market – Wednesdays/Saturdays, 2 – 6pm
and Sheila tells me that Fresh Country in Fowler’s Corner has the “best homemade pies and produce”. for foodies who want to take it further, many inns, restaurants and resorts use the region’s rich soil to raise their own meat and grow produce. make a reservation at one of these local hot spots: Elmhirst’s Resort in Keene, Pane Vino in Lindsay, Rare Grill House in Peterborough, The County Bistro in Cobourg, Elements in Peterborough, 38 Degrees in Peterborough, or Bistro 49 in Bobcaygeon.
word is, visitors should not miss Kawartha Country Wines, just outside of Buckhorn, where local fruits and berries are processed with the highest standards to produce award-winning wines.